The Denver Harbor Senior Citizens Center was founded in 1980 through the support of the Area Agency on Aging to provide nutritious meals to citizens 60 years and over. Today, the center serves a healthy breakfast to 70+ seniors through funding from the United Way of the Texas Gulf Coast. By subcontracting with Neighborhood Centers Inc., the center is able to serve a hot nutritious lunch to 80+ seniors. Transportation to and from the center is provided to those who live within a 2 1/2 mile radius of the center.
What started in 1980 as a place where seniors could get a nutritious meal has turned into a lifeline of activity for elderly Houston residents. Daily recreational activities include dominos and other board games, arts and crafts and socialization. From monthly birthday celebrations to out-of-town trips, the senior citizens center is referred to as El Centro Alegre, the Happy Center.
Denver Harbor Senior Citizens - 6402 Market Street Houston, Tx 77020 - (713) 672-6395
Denver Harbor Senior Citizens, Inc. "El Centro Alegre"
Encouraging personal independence, healthy aging, and social interaction.
• To develop meaningful opportunities and teach skills through a variety of activities.
• To promote health and wellness to ensure a better quality of life.
• To encourage opportunities for interactions with the community and other participant for social enrichment.
• To provide leadership opportunities allowing participants to use their interests and life experiences.
• To offer services & life-long learning opportunities that enrich & enhance participants’ quality of life and positive feelings of self-worth.
To design programs that encourage healthy living and continued independence for our members.
We all know the importance of United Way of Greater Houston to Denver Harbor Senior Citizens, our staff and most importantly to our community. United Way funding allows us to do more. We can make sure that more seniors get a hot meal and companionship on a daily basis. Thank you so much for your steadfast support of United Way of Greater Houston and the Agency Support Campaign.
Let's all do something about it......Please DONATE